Topic- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
7) Upscaling solar power in India requires tighter land regulations. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
India has placed huge stress on the solar power and has also made significant strides in capacity addition in this regard. However further upscaling has been difficult on account of land acquisition problems. Therefore it is necessary to discuss the need for tighter land regulations in this regard.
Examine- here we have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to bring out the reasons as to why upscaling solar power in India requires tighter land regulations.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about India’s stress on solar power. E.g present a few statistics related to addition of installed capacity of solar power under National Solar Mission.
DIscuss why there is a need for tighter land regulations in order to further upscale solar energy in India. E.g
- solar developers still reportedly face hurdles in converting agricultural land to industrial.
- It has become problematic even in the fringes of the Thar Desert.
- Most parks, developed by nodal government agencies, identify low-yield land and lease it from the farmers on 25-to 28-year-agreements, a win-win situation for everyone involved as the farmer has a steady flow of income.
- But in practice, the land acquired by developers isn’t always “barren”.
- With no clear penalties and regulations that draw the line on land quality, fertile cultivable land is often procured to build solar power plants.
- “While ideally there is the desire to use barren land, factors such as availability, distance from the substation and other acquisition challenges come into play.
- “To develop decentralised and rooftop solar, and more solar pump capacity, a much more concerted, deep, invasive policy effort is needed to provide the right information to the consumers and enable the right kind of business model etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.