Topic– Indian Diaspora
1) Indian Diaspora is India’s asset in disguise. Elaborate with suitable examples.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the strength of the indian diaspora and how they prove to be an asset for the country.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that Indian diaspora is getting influential across the world so much so that there are 285 people of Indian origin in various positions of leadership such as Heads of state and governments, senators, state leaders and members of parliaments.
- Discuss the length and breadth of indian diaspora
- The fact that Indian diaspora is spread across the length and breadth of the world
- And they are contributing in significant ways in corporates, to countries etc
- Discuss the ways in which they are an asset for India
- A diaspora estimated at over 30 million people fills mainstream roles and responsibilities in their adopted countries, helping shape the destiny of these countries. The President of Singapore, Governor-General of New Zealand and prime ministers of Mauritius and Trinidad and Tobago were all of Indian descent.
- Between 1995 and 2005, over a quarter of immigrant-founded engineering and IT companies in the United States were started by Indians, according to a study by Duke University and the University of California. And Indian expats owned an estimated 35 per cent of the country’s hotels.
- According to the 2000 U.S. census, Indians had median annual earnings of $51,000, compared to $32,000 for Americans overall. About 64 per cent of Indian-Americans have a bachelor’s degree or more, compared to 28 per cent of Americans overall, and 44 per cent for all Asian-American groups
- The Diaspora population bring technical and domain expertise to domestic startups and often act as angel investors. Diaspora Indian faculty abroad volunteer time and resources to help faculty on Indian campuses improve the quality of education — as in the case of member institutions of the Indo Universal Collaboration of Engineering Education.
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.