Topic – Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
7) The onset of digital age requires careful considerations in policy making to balance the interests of state and citizen, capital and consumer, public good and private hain. Discuss in context of the recent developments in how to govern data?(250 words)
Why this question
This article establishes the need for a global policy regulating data, highlights the various strains of thoughts regarding this and the global developments as well. The article provides relevant and contemporary issue which will become very significant in the days to come.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the various strains of thoughts regarding how data should be governed and bring out the interests of the various stakeholders as mentioned in the question. Thereafter, we need to give a fair and balanced view on what the way forward needs to be.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the growing importance of data in the digital age.
- Explain what the issue is – the fact that data generated by the people’s digital footprint is being monetized without the approval or knowledge of people whose data it is
- Give the various strains of thoughts regarding how this must be protected
- Nationalization of data as suggested by Ambani
- Jack Ma’s suggestion of greater liberalisation to make it easier for small producers in one country to sell to consumers across the world.
- Gathering data and monetising is what Google and Facebook do.
- Cook is mobilising support for a comprehensive privacy law in the US that will protect the consumer from the companies that collect personal data. One of Cook’s key proposals is the establishment of a “data-broker clearinghouse” that will register all data brokers, enable consumers to track the transactions that have bundled and sold their data from place to place, and give users the power to delete their data if they chose.
- Discuss why this is important and interests of the various stakeholders like government, corporates, public etc
- Give your view on what the way forward should be
Conclusion – Highlight that in the days and years to come, this is doing to be a major issue and discuss the way forward.