Topic – Indian polity : issues
5) The parliamentary developments in UK has led to utter confusion in UK but has important lessons that liberal democracies around the world can learn. Discuss in context of India whose parliamentary system borrows heavily from UK?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the voting patterns in UK parliament regarding the passage of the deal and No confidence motion against the government. The article delves deep into the lessons we can learn which can also deepen our understanding of Indian democracy.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the developments in UK and highlight what lessons it offers to liberal democracies around the world. Thereafter, we need to specifically discuss the lessons for India and how we should ingrain it in our democracy.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the recent developments in Brexit.
- Discuss the lessons that can be drawn from parliamentary proceedings in UK related to Brexit
- the drama has foregrounded the quirks and strengths of parliamentary democracy. They have foregrounded the fact that in a parliamentary system, legislators are supreme as they represent popular sovereignty.
- formal and informal coalition building among the ruling party, its allies and the opposition has ensured that every political group has played a role in this crucial process. This has produced delay and chaos, but it has also deepened the legitimacy of the political system
- Discuss what lessons can be drawn from these developments for the indian political system. Here you can discuss points like relevance of anti detection law, the art of consensus building across the opposition etc
Conclusion – give your view and discuss the way forward.