- Development processes and the development industry, the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes.
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Project ReWeave- features, significance and potential.
Context: Microsoft India has launched a new e-commerce platform ‘re-weave.in’ under project ReWeave to help handloom weavers.
Significance of the e-commerce platform:
- Connect artisans to the buyers directly enabling them to expand to newer customers and markets.
- Provide a platform to showcase signature collections created by the weaver communities, showcase traditional designs and products created from natural dyes to a broad set of customers.
- Aid in weavers in increasing their income and earning a sustainable livelihood while also reviving traditional forgotten Indian art.
About Project ReWeave:
Initiated by Microsoft India (R&D) Pvt. Limited in 2016 as part of its Philanthropies efforts.
Aim: To revive the handloom weaving ecosystem in India.
Features: Under the initiative, Microsoft is working closely with NGO partner, Chaitanya Bharathi to provide infrastructure, financing and marketing support to help weaver families keep their weaving traditions alive by sustaining livelihoods.
Sources: the hindu.
Mains Question: E-commerce has opened new vistas of opportunity for micro and small enterprises and women entrepreneurs in India. Comment.