Topic – India and her neighbourhood relations.
5) Discus how India-Maldives relationship has evolved over the time.(250 words)
Why this question
The change in government in Maldives has led to a thaw in the cold relations between the state and the India. In this context it is important to discuss the India- Maldives relationship in detail and bring out its historical and current position.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing direcreceive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the India-Maldives relationship- the history of engagement, important events, issues and concerns.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- write a few introductory lines about the Maldives. E.g mention its location and proximity to India and its vital position in the Indian ocean.
- Discuss the history of the relationship between the two countries. E.g
- Indian Army’s ‘Operation Cactus’ foiled a coup in Maldives that was attempted by a pro-Eelam group in 1988.
- India maintains a naval presence in Maldives, at the request of the Maldives, since 2009.
- Maldives has pledged its support to India as a permanent member of an expanded UN Security Council.
- Relations between India and Maldives came under a strain after Male had terminated the agreement it entered into with GMR in 2010 for the modernisation of the Ibrahim Nasir International Airport.
- Maldives is also part of China’s Silk Road project, a move that has not gone down well in New Delhi.
- Discuss the present status and future areas of cooperation and engagement. E.g
- During his maiden India visit, Solih not only emphasized his country’s traditionally close ties with India, but also affirmed his government’s “India First Policy.”
- India reciprocated the gesture by announcing an assistance of $1.4 billion through a credit line and budgetary support to the Maldives.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.