Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests
4) BIMSTEC has demonstrated considerable push to further expand cooperation and connectivity among the member states. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question
BIMSTEC has been touted as an alternative to SAARC, which has reached a dead end due to various political issues. In this context it is important to discuss the measures recently taken under the BIMSTEC framework to improve connectivity and cooperation among the member states.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the initiatives and decisions taken under the framework of BIMSTEC to improve connectivity and cooperation among the member states.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the BIMSTEC. E.g mention about the members of the organization and date of incorporation etc.
Discuss in points about the initiatives and decisions taken by the organisation to bolster cooperation and connectivity among the member states. E.g
- Following the fourth meeting of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) in Kathmandu in August, there is a renewed push to conclude a series of proposals to further cooperation and connectivity.
- The top among them are a master plan on connectivity and the motor vehicle agreement, which have been in the works for almost a decade.
- Other proposals like a parliamentarians forum, cooperation on cyber and space cooperation and maritime security are under discussion.
- Similarly, the motor vehicle agreement which aims to streamline vehicle movement across the region is also in an advanced stage of finalisation.
- BIMSTEC is already looking at adopting the model of ASEAN Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance (AHA) on disaster management etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.