Topic– India and its neighbourhood- relations
4) Examine the major issues in India Bhutan relations and suggest measured for continuing the cohesive and durable relationship with Bhutan?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss in brief the status and history of India Bhutan relations. Thereafter, we need to discuss the teething issues in India Bhutan relations and discuss how such issues can be resolved.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief history of India Bhutan relations.
- Discuss the major issues
- Issues with the hydropower project
- Allegations of interference against India
- India’s power-surplus status and the advent of other renewable energies like wind and solar power will make it more difficult for Bhutan to ensure that its hydropower sector becomes profitable.
- Unless India finds ways to help, it will be accused of the same sort of “debt-trapping” that China is accused of today.
- India also needs to focus on policing cross-border trade The goods and services tax still hurts Bhutanese exporters, and demonetisation has left lasting scars on the banking system
- Discuss the way forward
- India’s effective neighbourhood approach will prove conducive towards building a cohesive and durable relationship with Bhutan in the coming days.
- The hydropower projects, where delays in construction and commissioning by the Indian companies took place, have led to the Country’s increase in the national debt. The tariffs need to be re-negotiated. Moreover, in India advent of wind / solar makes it more difficult for Bhutan to ensure that its hydropower sector becomes profitable.
- Considering this legacy of Independent democracy, India should refrain from interfering in sovereign matters of Bhutan.
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.