Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
7) Discuss the role of WHO in promoting public health and environmental health across the globe.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail the role and functions performed by the WHO in order to promote public and environmental health across the world.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the WHO. E.g The WHO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established in 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO’s Constitution states that its objective “is the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health”.
- DIscuss the structure and functioning of WHO. E.g
- As of 2016, the WHO has 194 member states: all of them Member States of the United Nations except for the Cook Islands and Niue.
- WHO Member States appoint delegations to the World Health Assembly, WHO’s supreme decision-making body.
- All UN Member States are eligible for WHO membership.
- The Executive Board is composed of members technically qualified in health, and gives effect to the decisions and policies of the Health Assembly.
- In addition, the UN observer organizations International Committee of the Red Cross and International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies have entered into “official relations” with WHO and are invited as observers.
- Discuss the functions of WHO. E.g
- The WHO is responsible for the World Health Report, the worldwide World Health Survey, and World Health Day.
- providing leadership on matters critical to health and engaging in partnerships where joint action is needed;
- shaping the research agenda and stimulating the generation, translation, and dissemination of valuable knowledge;
- setting norms and standards and promoting and monitoring their implementation;
- articulating ethical and evidence-based policy options;
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.