Topic– Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) What is the Global housing tech challenge? Examine how will it benefit Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana?(250 words)
Why this question
In order to resolve the housing problem in the country, the government launched the PMAY scheme under which the achievements have not kept pace with the aims. As a result, this technological innovation project has been initiated to improve the attainment of objectives under PMAY which needs to be discussed.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first explain about the challenge. Highlight why such a challenge is necessary, by talking about the need of it under PMAY. Finally, we need to give our view on the importance of this challenge as well as the way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the problem of housing shortage in the country and the need to accelerate construction of houses with suitable statistics.
- Explain about the challenge – Centre to offer about ₹150 crore as a technology innovation grant to build 6,000 homes — cheaper, faster and better — using alternative technologies and materials under the Global Housing Technology Challenge (which was launched recently). Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to invite bids and identify proven demonstrable technologies from around the world which are to be adapted and mainstreamed for use in the Indian context.
Apart from state and Central assistance of ₹1.5 lakh each, the Centre will offer an additional technology innovation grant of ₹2.5 lakh for each house.
- Highlight that The PMAY (U), was launched by prime minister in June’15. It is aimed at ensuring Housing for all by 2022 by providing financial assistance to the beneficiaries. Around 68.5 lakh houses have been approved so far for construction under the PMAY (U).
- Highlight that pace of construction under the urban section of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana or Housing for All is too slow. It has completed just over 10% of its target as the scheme reaches its halfway point.
- Explain how the challenge would help in achievement of aims under PMAY.
Conclusion – give your view and discuss the way forward.