Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
2) Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj was a social reformer well ahead of his time. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, his thoughts, his works and his contribution towards development and reformation of Indian society.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj. E.g Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj also known as Rajarshi Shahu was considered a true democrat and social reformer. First Maharaja of the princely state of Kolhapur, he was an invaluable gem in the history of Maharashtra.
Discuss in points his contributions towards the Indian society. E.g
- Greatly influenced by the contributions of social reformer Jyotiba Phule, Shahu Maharaj was an ideal leader and able ruler who was associated with many progressive and path breaking activities during his rule.
- From his coronation in 1894 till his demise in 1922, he worked tirelessly for the cause of the lower caste subjects in his state.
- Primary education to all regardless of caste and creed was one of his most significant priorities.
- He established hostels separately for different ethnicities and religions.
- He established the Miss Clarke Boarding School for the socially quarantined segments of the community.
- He introduced several scholarships for the poor but meritorious students from backward castes.
- He also initiated a compulsory free primary education for all in his state.
- Chhatrapati Shahu was a strong advocate of equality among all strata of the society and refused to give the Brahmins any special status.
- He established schools to educate the women, and also spoke vociferously on the topic of women education. He introduced a law banning the Devadasi Pratha etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.