Topic– Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
5) The lack of alarm caused by the denial of local democracy reveals our collective bias regarding the place of local governments.. Comment. (250 words)
Why this question
Despite the constitutional amendments made to empower the local government in India, the progress has been tardy and the mechanism has not yet taken its due place. In this context it is important to discuss the status of local government in India.
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and express our opinion as to why the lack of alarm caused by the denial of local democracy reveals our collective bias regarding the place of local governments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the constitutional status of local bodies. E.g mention the aims of 73rd and 74th amendments of the constitution.
Discuss the problems/ issues in devolving powers to the local governments in India. E.g
- Prescribing various kinds of criteria like educational qualification, presence of a functional toilet at home etc.- It restricts a citizen’s right to contest elections and thereby challenges the basic premise of a republican democracy.
- Though local governments now have a definite space within India’s constitutional structure, they are still seen as administrative vessels for implementing programmes of the Central and State governments.
- Not holding elections to local governments.
- In most States, tasks like delimitation of seats are still done by the State government instead of the SEC. It is often under the guise of delimitation of seats that local government elections are delayed, especially when the party in power fears losses etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.