Topic- Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
4) Despite being rich in natural resources, Africa continent has widespread poverty and under-development. Examine. (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first shed light on how resource rich Africa is, the status quo of Africa in terms of industrial development and socio-economic development. Thereafter, we need to bring out the causes behind such poverty in Africa and discuss how to rectify the situation.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that Africa is a land of paradox because of its vast amount of natural resources ranging from agricultural land to minerals and despite that fact the country remains struck by poverty and hunger
- Highlight in brief the nature of natural resources found in Africa and also highlight the status quo regarding socio economic conditions.
- Next explain the reasons for above such as
- Inefficient investment.
- Lack of transparent rules.
- Governance issue.
- Nature-based conflicts, including violent conflict, civil wars and secessionist movements, have been commonplace in Africa.
- Discuss the impact of these factors on distribution of industries in Africa. Suggest measures through which the situation can be improved.
Conclusion – Therefore, to make the ‘Lost Continent’ a true ‘Land of opportunities’, there is the necessity of political stability, education and true leadership to take the front seat and drive the growth of Africa.