Topic – Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
3) Examine why Pharmaceutical Industry is largely located on the Western Coast of India?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the location of pharmaceutical industries in India and thereafter, examine the reasons why they are mostly situated on the West coast of India.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that Pharmaceutical industry is a footloose industry (i.e it does not require specific local resources ) and hence it can occur wherever the industrial feasibility criteria are met.
- Explain the reasons why Pharma industry is largely situated on the west coast of India
- Proximity to ports (Kandla, Bhavnagar etc.) which facilitates easy export to Africa, Europe etc. Africa for long has been an important market for India’s Generic Drug Industry. India exports cheap life saving drugs to African nations. The ports also help to import raw materials required for the manufacturing of drugs.
- favorable State policy like ease of doing business, stable policies of state government (Gujarat, Maharashtra)
- Proximity to petrochemical hubs near Gujarat Coast and Mumbai.
- Easy availability of Capital ( The western part of India has traditionally been the hub of trade and Capital)
- Historical factors include the spirit of entrepreneurship
- Highlight that the above factors explain the emergence of Pharmaceutical industries in western region, many of the factors may be found at other places across the country (Bangalore, NCR region etc.). So the Pharma industry is not just located at west but scattered across the country wherever economic considerations allow.
Conclusion – conclude by summarising the points made above.