Topic– Indian agriculture : issues
7) Indian agriculture has entered the era of permanent surpluses, which is further worsening the condition of the farmers. Discuss. Also examine how can agricultural marketing improve the situation?(250 words)
Why this question
Although Indian agriculture suffers from several perennial problems, permanent surpluses have only been a recent phenomena. Instead of ameliorating the condition of the farmers, the phenomena has further hurt the farmers. The key to resolving this lies in improved agricultural marketing and needs to be discussed.
Key demand of the question
The question wants us to express our knowledge/ understanding of the issue and present our opinion. We have to explain how Indian agriculture has entered the permanent surplus era, what impact it has on farmers and what should be done in this regard. In the next part, we have give our opinion on whether the solution lies in improved agricultural marketing.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the meaning of the term permanent surplus in agriculture.
- Discuss some statistics related to agricultural production and mention examples of places where farmers faced the problems of surplus production coupled with lower prices.
- Discuss how India has reached trade surplus- technology, infrastructure, diffusion and adoption rate of technology/ innovation etc.
- Discuss the good and bad of permanent/ near-permanent surplus in agricultural production.
- Examine how far agricultural marketing is a solution to the problems discussed above
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss the way forward.