- Geographical features and their location – changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
National Bamboo Mission
Context: The restructured National Bamboo Mission (NBM) was approved in April, 2018 for implementation till the end of 14th Finance Commission i.e. 2019-2020.
Aim of the Mission:
It aims to inter-alia supplement farm income of farmers with focus on the development of complete value chain of bamboo sector linking growers with industry.
The scheme is being implemented in non-forest Government land, farmers field in States where it has social, commercial and economical advantage, including the bamboo rich States of North Eastern region and Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Karnataka, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
88 Bamboo Treatment Units, 464 Product Development/Processing Units, 135 Infrastructure Projects for Promotion and Development of Bamboo Markets, and an area of 15740 ha for plantation has been approved.
Financial Assistance to North Eastern States is provided in the ratio of 90:10 between Central & State Government.
A number of consultations have been held with State Governments and Industry to invigorate the bamboo sector in the region.
About National Bamboo Mission –
The Mission envisages promoting holistic growth of bamboo sector by adopting area-based, regionally differentiated strategy and to increase the area under bamboo cultivation and marketing.
- Coverage of 1,05,000 ha area under bamboo in two years by ensuring adequate stocks of selected genetically superior quality planting material.
- Promotion and diversification of bamboo products through establishment of micro, small, medium & large processing units and development of value chain in bamboo.
- Setting up and strengthening of bamboo mandi/bazaars/rural haats, including promoting online trade.
- Enhanced cooperation within the country related to research, technology, product development, machinery, trade information and knowledge sharing platform particularly for NE States to give a boost to the low key bamboo based industry in the country.
The NBM will be a sub-scheme of National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA) under the umbrella scheme Krishonnati Yojana.
- 60:40 between Centre and State Govt. for all States (excepting NE & Hilly states),
- 90:10 for the NE & Hilly States, and
- 100% for Union Territories/R&D Institutes/Bamboo Technology Support Groups (BTSGs) and National Level Agencies.
Source : PIB