Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic– Disaster and disaster management.
7) The disaster in Meghalaya shows that lives of people matter little in India. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the apathy shown by policymakers towards the weaker sections of the society who keep on dying in accidents or tragedies one after the other. These instances remain in public memory for some time and thereafter, it ceases to bother one. The recent Meghalaya tragedy was one such incident which could have been averted but wasn’t because no one was paying attention. Hence this question
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first discuss the reasons behind the tragedy in Meghalaya, and underline the causes why the disaster happened. Thereafter, we have to bring out that such disasters are a lack of proactive steps taken by the government and in certain cases, downright negligence. We have to give our opinion and discuss way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight about the recent incident in Meghalaya and other such incidents where a number of people have died in totally avoidable circumstances.
- Explain the causes behind the disaster in Meghalaya
- Highlight the tardy response response of the Centre and the State which has exposed the extraordinary indifference in government to labour welfare and the law.
- Highlight that such mines were being operated despite ban by NGT which again highlights the apathy of the state.
- Explain that Justice B.P. Katoki committee appointed by the NGT had warned about the continued operation of the illegal mines. However, Meghalaya government failed to act and take appropriate actions.
- Discuss about the other such incidents such as death caused during demonetization, death due to hunger in Jharkhand etc which necessitated to enquiries and no corrective measures highlighting that lives of common people matter little and shows governmental apathy
- Explain how the situation can be improved
Conclusion – Highlight that such incidents reflect utter neglect on the part of the state and discuss the way forward.