Topic– India and its neighborhood- relations.
5) Faith based diplomacy has several limitations and may prove costly for India’s national interests in the long run. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question
India has been at the forefront of religious diplomacy as can be gauged from conducting Yoga sessions and enlightening the world about Ayurveda to high profile visits to/ from foreign countries to important religious sites. In this context it is essential to look into the issue and find whether religion based diplomacy should be pursued or not.
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding about the recent efforts by India to capitalize on faith based diplomacy and bring forth an opinion as to whether it may/ may not prove costly for India’s national interests in the long run.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about some of the recent diplomatic moves of the government which involved or emphasized religion. E.g Sri Lanka officials visit to Bodh Gaya; Citizenship Bill, Visits of high level Indian officials including the PM to several foreign shrines etc.
Discuss the flaws in such approach and why it can be dangerous for India. E.g
- It can trigger a backlash from communities and countries hostile to any particular religion.
- Such an approach which focuses on a single or a few religions undermines India’s rich cultural and religious heritage.
- It also undermines India’s secular foundations.
- It can cause deep rifts between countries disfavouring any particular religion being promoted and India etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.