Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
2) The Cool Temperate Continental Climate of the world is home to a flourishing lumbar industry. Examine.(250 words)
Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong; Cool Temperate Continental (SIberian) Climate
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
The question wants us to write in detail about the Cool Temperate Continental Climate of the world and its flourishing lumbar industry- why such climate supports lumbar industry and the features of such climate as well as the industry.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- write a few introductory lines about the Cool Temperate Continental Climate/ Siberian climate. E.g It is only experienced in the Northern Hemisphere where the continents inside the high latitudes have a large east-west spread, unlike the southern hemisphere.
- Mention that the predominant vegetation in this climate is coniferous forests, which stretches in a vast continuous stretch across North America, Europe and Asia.
- Discuss further, about coniferous forests in such climate. E.g no other trees are adapted to survive such hostile climates as the conifers.
- The conifers of Eurasia and N. America are the richest sources of softwood, used in building construction, pulp, matches, furniture, paper, rayon manufacturing etc.
- US leads in wood pulp while Canada tops in newsprint.
- The trees are present in pure strands and only a few species exist, which makes them highly advantageous for commercial exploitation.
- Conifers have moderate density, grow uniform and straight and tall, and are well spaced from each other.
- Snow Cover is exploited to transport/ haul the cut trees from one place to another etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.