Topic: strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international
relations and funding; corporate governance.
8) What are the ethical issues related to conditional funding in the international sphere. Discuss.(250 words)
LEXICON FOR ETHICS< INTEGRITY AND APTITUDE: VALUES AND ETHICS IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the term conditionality. E.g Conditionality is a concept which describes the use of conditions attached to a loan, debt relief, bilateral aid or membership of international organizations, typically by the international financial institutions, regional organizations or donor countries.
Discuss the ethical issues raised by conditional funding in international arena. E.g
- The donors shape the policy framework and strategies through impositions, seriously undermining the rights, choices and decisions of the people to determine their own demands and actions needed for their own development.
- Local societal diversities and local ownership are ignored.
- Policy conditions can interfere with the formation of an independent and mature democracy and political framework.
- Democratic ownership implies mutual accountability, transparency, and participation in policies and programmes, where both donors and governments feel equal, sharing.
- Domination by the government or the donors in the process undermines the basic principles of democratic ownership etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.