Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
70 Point Grading Index to assess states on schooling system
What to study?
- For Prelims: About the Point Grading Index and its key features.
- For Mains: Significance and the need for the Index, need for grading and ways and measures to improve the schooling system.
Context: The government has launched a 70 point Performance Grading Index (PGI) to assess areas of deficiency in each state’s school education system so that targeted interventions can be made at every level from pedagogy to teacher training.
About the Performance Grading Index (PGI):
Aim: The index is aimed at helping states understand where they may be lagging behind and prioritise areas for intervention to ensure that the school education system is robust at every level.
- The union Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry is compiling this schooling index.
- The Index will assess states on a 1,000 point grading system with 10-20 points per parameter.
- Areas: The 70 indicators will grade state schooling systems on areas like number of existing teacher vacancies, number of direct entry recruitments especially at leadership positions, school infrastructure and so on.
- The Niti Aayog which was earlier developing its own School Education Quality Index, will be using 33 of the 70 criteria under the PGI for their own assessments.
The move is in keeping with the government’s overall thrust on quality improvement, teacher training and learning outputs. It will prioritize areas for intervention to ensure that the school education system is robust at every level.