Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic– part of static series under the heading – “; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance”
7) Discuss some of the measures taken to strengthen ethical values in governance and what more should be done in this regard?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the various measures in the form of laws, rules, regulations, code of ethics etc that the government has brought in order to ensure that ethical values are practiced and reinforced in governance. Moreover, we also need to give suggestions regarding what more can be done to strengthen ethics in governance.
Discuss – Here your discussion should focus on bringing out the steps taken by the government to improve ethical values in governance and what more can be done in this regard. We also need to discuss the impact of such steps.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what do you mean by ethical values in governance.
- Discuss the steps taken by the government to improve ethical values in governance and the impact of such steps
- eGovernance and Digitisation to increase transparency and accountability along with easing paper work
- RTI to allow for citizen’s right to know which enhances probity in governance
- Civil service codes and various Service Rules to ensure honesty and integrity
- Citizen charters and citizen oriented governance to better address feedback, grievances
- In 2006 the department Of Personnel drafted a Public Service Bill which enumerated fundamental values of Public Services, a Code of Ethics, a Management Code etc. with the objective of developing public services. The bill didn’t make much headway and is in cold storage etc
- Discuss what more can be done
- Effective implementation of charter
- Removing political interference in administration and politicisation of administration
- You can take more suggestions from the 2nd arc report on ethics in governance
Conclusion – Emphasize on why ethics in governance is important and the way forward.