Topic -Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems;
7) Public servants today more than before face various kinds of value conflicts and challenges. Discuss.(250 words)
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the conflict in public service values. E.g the nature of public service and the multiple tasks of public servants will inevitably result in value conflicts. Also, in the context of greater fluidity between the public and non-public spheres, traditional values are challenged and/or complemented by other value sets.
- DIscuss in detail why value conflict arises in public services. E.g
- The environment in which the public service operates is a constantly changing one – current dynamics of change include new technologies, growing and changing public expectations, demographic changes and the effects of economic and social globalisation.
- In this environment economic, political and social values can come into conflict with the professional values of the public administrator.
- Values can also differ within public service organisations.
- Discuss the types of value conflicts. E.g
- Intrapersonal value conflicts occur within the individual when he or she is faced with competing personal values.
- Interpersonal value conflicts occur between individuals with different ambitions and goals.
- Finally, individual-organisational value conflicts occur when the values employed by an organisation are at variance with the personal values of an employee.
- Discuss briefly how these value conflicts can be resolved. E.g
- While intrapersonal value conflicts require an almost exclusively personal self assessment of work priorities, interpersonal and individual organisational value conflicts can be resolved through the provision of clear value statements and the motivating capacity of ‘value-centred leaders’.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.