Topic– mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
4) The shocking neglect of child care institutions must presents a very sorry state of affairs. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the sorry state of affairs of child care institutions in the country and highlights the findings of the report of a central government report. It serves as an eye opener and the status of such institutions has come under the scanner because of the spate of crimes that have been reported from there.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the state of child care institutions and highlight the findings of the committee constituted by the government. Thereafter we need to bring out the issues plaguing such institutions and discuss the way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight the recent incidents that have come out of such institutions.
- Explain the status quo of such institutions. Here we need to discuss the findings of the central government committee
- only 32% of Child Care Institutions or Homes were registered under the JJ Act as of 2016, while an equal number were unregistered, and the rest were either empanelled under other schemes or awaiting registration
- child care standards were poor in many institutions, sans proper bedding, food and nutrition and sanitation.
- Some States have too few homes, giving authorities little incentive to take up cases of children in distress
- Discuss the reasons behind this state of affairs
- Highlight what needs to be done
- priority should be to bring about uniformity of standards and procedures, evolving common norms for infrastructure, human resources, financial practices and external audits.
- Enforcement of standards and strict action against such wrongdoers
Conclusion – highlight that the most vulnerable children live in such shelters and there is a need to ensure that their survival is not at stake.