- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- India and its neighbourhood- relations.
Panj Tirath Hindu religious site declared as national heritage
What to study?
- For Prelims: About Panj Tirath, it location and its significance.
- For Mains: Religious sites in Pakistan that are linked to Indian beliefs.
Context: The provincial Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government in northwest Pakistan has declared the ancient Hindu religious site of Panj Tirath in Peshawar as national heritage.
- The government also announced a fine of up to Rs 2 million and five years’ imprisonment for anyone found guilty of damaging the historic site.
About Panj Tirath:
Panj Tirath, which got its name from the five pools of water present there, also contains a temple and a lawn with date palm trees.
- It is believed that Pandu, a mythical king in the Mahabharata, belonged to this area and Hindus used to come to these pools for bathing during the month of Karteek and worship for two days under the trees.
- The site was damaged during the reign of the Afghan Durrani dynasty in 1747, however it was restored by local Hindus during the period of Sikh rule in 1834 and worship started again.
Sources: the hindu.