Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic– Redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization,
2) What led to the Yom-Kippur war of 1973 and what were the outcomes of the war. Discuss.(250 words)
Norman Lowe; WORLD HISTORY; Conflict in Middle-East
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the Yom-Kippur war. We have to discuss at length about the factors that led to the war and also what were the outcomes of the war.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Yom Kippur war. E.g the Yom Kippur war began was fought in 1973 between Arab states- Egypt and Syria on one side and Israel on the other. Mention the earlier wars of 1948, 1956, 1967 fought between Israel and several Arab states.
- Discuss the factors that led to the war. E.g
- Pressure was brought to bear on the Arab states by the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) under its leader Yasser Arafat, for some further action. When very little happened, a more extreme group within the PLO, called the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), embarked on a series of terrorist attacks to draw world attention to the grave injustice being done to the Arabs of Palestine.
- Anwar Sadat, the president of Egypt since Nasser’s death in 1970, hoped to win American support for the Arabs, so that the Americans would persuade the Israelis to agree to a peace settlement. However, the Americans refused to get involved.
- Sadat, together with Syria, decided to attack Israel again, hoping that this would force the Americans to act as mediators.
- Discuss the outcomes of the war. E.g
- After some early Arab successes, the Israelis, using mainly American weapons, were able to turn the tables and was successful in in hanging on to all the territory they had captured in 1967 and even crossed the Suez Canal into Egypt.
- Both the USA and the USSR decided it was time to intervene to try to bring about a peace settlement. Acting with UN cooperation, they organized a ceasefire, which both sides accepted.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.