Topic– Events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization,
1) Why do you think the League of Nations failed to preserve world peace. Discuss.(250 words)
Norman Lowe; WORLD HISTORY; League of Nations
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the League of Nations (LoN) and bring out the reasons as to why it failed to preserve world peace and another world war.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- write a few introductory lines about the LoN. e.g It was formed in 1920 on the same day as the treaty of Versailles was signed. Its aim was to settle international disputes before they got out of hand, and so prevent war from ever breaking out again.
Discuss the reasons as to why the LoN failed to preserve world peace and prevent another war. E.g
- It was too closely linked with the Versailles Treaties.
- It was rejected by the USA
- Germany was not allowed to join until 1926 and the USSR only became a member in 1934 (when Germany left). So for the first few years of its existence the League was deprived of three of the world’s most important powers.
- The gathering of leading ambassadors was only intended to function until the League machinery was up and running, but it lingered on, and on several occasions it took precedence over the League.
- The world economic crisis began in 1929.
- Japan’s invasion of Manchuria etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.