Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic– Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
7) What do you think can be the strategies required to make public servants ethically compliant. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question
The question wants us to bring out a strategy which is practical and at the same time effective to make public servants more ethically compliant and end the ethical laxity experienced by them
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Mention that In the wake of many revelations of criminal offences among public and community service officials, one is justified in asking whether there is a systemic problem of ethical behavior and morality defects in public service agencies etc.
Discuss the strategy to make public servants ethically compliant and morally upright. E.g
- Establish rules which require public officials to give reasons for their official decisions;
- Institute management approaches that enable public officials to deal assertively with corruption and unethical practice when they encounter it, even at the risk of offending their superiors.
- ‘whistleblower’ protection law to protect appropriate ‘public interest disclosures’ of wrongdoing by officials;
- ethics audits to identify risks to the integrity of the most important processes (for example financial management, tendering, recruitment and promotion, dismissal and discipline);
- new Human Resource Management strategies (which link, for example, ethical performance with entry and advancement, and ethical ‘under-performance’ with disciplinary processes), merit based promotion and recruitment, anti-discrimination protection;
- training and development in the content and rationale of Ethics Codes, the application of ethical management principles, the proper use of official power, and the requirements of professional responsibility, and
- effective external and internal complaint and redress procedures.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.