Topic-Part of static series under the heading – “ethical issues in international relations and funding”
6) Our inability to come to an adequate agreement with regards to financing, technology transfer etc to prevent climate change reflects the lack of ethics in international relations. Discuss(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The agreement which has come out of the recently concluded summit at Katowice has been criticized for its lack of ambition in devising a solution to the trenchant problem of climate change. We need to examine whether the issue is on account of lack of ethics in international relations. We need to provide a fair and balanced opinion and discuss way forward.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the inadequate nature of the agreement meant to tackle climate change – one of the gravest danger posed before the world today.
- Explain the issue of climate change and the problems associated with financing and technology transfer.
- Discuss that the focus of the countries is on ensuring that other nations can’t progress on their account instead of thinking of the significant problem that faces us
- Similarly, explain that our inability to come up with a framework for loss and damage reflects our lack of empathy.
- However, also bring out that in international ethics the primary responsibility of the nations is to secure their interest but for the sake of our planet there is a need for all nations to come together
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced opinion and discuss way forward.