Topic: Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
5) Without being sincere about enlarging the democratic space in Kashmir, every call for de-escalation will be seen by people as an invitation to surrender and will be vehemently resisted. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question
SItuation in Kashmir has worsened with time as can be gauged from the number of civilian and security personnel killings in 2018, one of the highest in this decade. The article provides an insider view of the present distress in the valley and calls for deepening and strengthening of democracy.
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding about the present situation in Kashmir and express our opinion as to why/ why not, without being sincere about enlarging the democratic space in Kashmir, every call for de-escalation will be seen by people as an invitation to surrender and will be vehemently resisted.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the present situation in Kashmir. E.g mention about the fall of BJP-PDP coalition and governor’s rule and also mention that 2018 saw the highest number of casualties since 2008 etc.
Discuss the relationship between shrinking democratic space and rise of violent forms of protest against the government. E.g
- DIscuss the erosion of democracy and democratic institutions in the valley- interference by the central govt. In the functioning of state govt; no respect for rule of law and accountability on part of the government; rise in corruption in the state etc.
- Voter-turnout has been time again misused to negate the legitimacy of the political aspirations of the people and governance issues are used to confuse their narrative.
- If the people’s call for the restoration of their political agency is responded to only by deploying stronger and more lethal weapons, then this asymmetric war is not ending anytime soon.
- The way out of the deadlock in Kashmir is to strengthen democracy. The Indian state must be extra accommodating of dissent, when dealing with Kashmir. Those who win elections must have the freedom to truthfully represent their electorate. The existing “mainstream” political parties must not feel threatened by intrigues originating in Delhi etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.