- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
Khushi Scheme of Odisha
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key features of Khushi and Ujjwala sanitary napkins initiative.
- For Mains: Significance of the scheme and the need for such schemes.
Context: The Centre’s recently introduced ‘Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins’ initiative is being seen as an attempt to counter the ‘Khushi’ scheme launched by the Odisha State government.
About Khushi Scheme:
As part of its initiatives to empower women, the Odisha government, last year, launched this scheme to provide free sanitary napkins to school girls across the state.
- The scheme will be implemented by the health and family welfare department of the state at a cost of 70 crore per year.
- Under this scheme, the Health Department of Odisha Government aims to provide free sanitary pads to 1.7 million girl students from grade 6th to 12th in government and government-aided schools. Also, it aims to promote health and hygiene among school going girls and higher retention of girls in school.