Topic– Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
8) What is empathy and why is it important in public services. How can we increase empathy among civil servants. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the meaning and importance of empathy as a value and also discuss in detail as to how empathy can be increased among civil servants.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– define empathy. E.g Empathy is the ability to share and understand the emotions of others.
- Discuss the three ways of looking at empathy. E.g
- Affective empathy- the ability to share the emotions of others.
- Cognitive empathy- the ability to understand the emotions of others.
- Emotional regulation- the ability to regulate one’s emotions
- Discuss the importance of empathy. E.g
- It helps us understand how others are feeling so we can respond appropriately to the situation.
- It is typically associated with social behaviour
- Empathy is an interpersonal skill that can be viewed as part of emotional intelligence
- Empathy can however also inhibit social actions, or even lead to immoral behaviour.
- Discuss how empathy can be inculcated/ increased among civil servants. E.g
- Some people are genetically inclined to be highly empathic or not.
- it is possible to increase cognitive, emotional and behavioural empathy through formal training
- instruction about the benefits of showing empathy, how to identify emotions in others, how to feel those emotions and how to comment appropriately on them.
- providing models of a person showing empathy in response to something another has said or done.
- practice at showing empathy etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.