Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “Disaster and disaster management”
5) In India, authorities are often tasked with the task of controlling large scale protests, social unrest etc. Explain the NDMA guidelines on Crowd disaster management and bring out the issues faced by state government in implementing them?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
Bring out the problems with respect to crowd disaster management faced by the states. Give instances to highlight the issue. Thereafter, explain NDMA guidelines and discuss issues faced by states in controlling such mobs.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that in India right to protest is a fundamental right and such protests often turn violent. Give illustration of some recent cases such as the violence in Bulandshahr, or the incident in Punjab where a Dusshera celebration turned fatal.
- Discuss the NDMA guidelines related to crowd disaster management
- Crowd monitoring, alternative routes to release crowd pressure and accessibility of emergency exits at all times.
- Also, Ambulance and healthcare professionals should be available round-the-clock at the venues.
- As per guidelines event organizers should have plans to handle VIP visitors or, it is better to refuse entry to VIPs where it adds to safety concerns.
- There should be a public address system, with loudspeakers installed at all crowded points.
- Guidelines also list the roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders & there should be disaster management plan in coordination with others including local administration and police.
- Examine the issues faced by state governments
- State forces face issues of manpower crunch, also there is lack of adequate training and proper equipment.
- This forces state governments to seek help from the Centre which, in turn, deploys the CAPFs. There is an issue of lack of coordination between center and state.
- Sometimes the states are criticised for inaction while sometimes states are criticised for excessive force against the crowd etc
Conclusion – Give suggestions as to how such crowd can be better managed.