- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Children’s Science Congress
What to study?
- For Prelims: About NCSC, NCSTC.
- For Mains: Significance of the platform.
Context: 26th National Children’s Science Congress (NCSC) is being held in Odisha.
Theme: “Science, Technology and Innovation for a Clean, Green and Healthy Nation.”
National Children’s Science Congress (NCSC):
National Children’s Science Congress (NCSC) is a nationwide Science Communication programme started in the year 1993. It is a programme of National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC), Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi.
It is a forum children of the age-group of 10-17 years, both from formal school system as well as from out of school, to exhibit their creativity and innovativeness and more particularly their ability to solve a societal problem experienced locally using by method of science.
About National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC):
- It is mandated to communicate science & technology to masses. The programmes of the Council aim at building capacity for informed decision making in the community.
- NCSTC encourages research in areas of S & T communication, training of communicators, development of books, manuals, posters, exhibitions, films, radio programmes, and television programmes on different facets of science & technology and recognizing outstanding efforts through awards and incentives all over the country.
- It is a registered body guided by a Board of Governors with headquarters at Delhi. It has about eighty members spread in all states and union territories. Volunteers in districts lend it great strength and capability for implementing projects that reach the common man and woman.
Sources: the hindu.