Topic– Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions;
8) Discuss the three jewels of jainism and their relevance for today’s society.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the three jewels of jainism and their ethical aspects as well as their applicability in today’s society.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Jain philosophy. E.g The aim of Jain life is to achieve liberation of the soul.This is done by following the Jain ethical code, or to put it simply, living rightly by following the three jewels of Jain ethics.
- Discuss about the three jewels of jainism. E.g
- Right faith – Samyak darshan
This doesn’t mean believing what you’re told, but means seeing (hearing, feeling, etc.) things properly, and avoiding preconceptions and superstitions that get in the way of seeing clearly.
- Right knowledge – Samyak jnana
This means having an accurate and sufficient knowledge of the real universe – this requires a true knowledge of the five (or six) substances and nine truths of the universe – and having that knowledge with the right mental attitude.
- Right conduct – Samyak charitra
This means living your life according to Jain ethical rules, to avoid doing harm to living things and freeing yourself from attachment and other impure attitudes and thoughts.
- Discuss whether those principles are still applicable today and what are the possible problems faced by the world today l, that they can solve. E.g be creative and try to create hypothetical situations or cite real situations where these principles can be applied in our life.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.