Topic – India and its bilateral relations.
1) Chabahar port has immense possibilities as well as provides significant challenges for India, now that India has taken over operations of the port. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
India has formally taken over operations of Iran’s strategic Chabahar Port. The article discusses the possibilities and challenges provided by Chabahar port for India. Although Chabahar port has been in the news for quite some time now, the article provides good points which needs to be remembered.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first highlight the fact that India has taken over operations of Chabahar port. Thereafter we need to bring out the potential of Chabahar port for India and discuss the various challenges that remain ahead still. Finally, we need to provide a forward looking view on what needs to be done.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about Chabahar port and the fact that India has taken over operations of the port.
- Highlight the potential of the port for India
- India can bypass Pakistan in transporting goods to Afghanistan. Chabahar port will boost India’s access to Iran, the key gateway to the International North-South Transport Corridor that has sea, rail and road routes between India, Russia, Iran, Europe and Central Asia.
- Chabahar port will be beneficial to India in countering Chinese presence in the Arabian Sea which China is trying to ensure by helping Pakistan develop the Gwadar port.
- Chabahar port will ensure in the establishment of a politically sustainable connectivity between India and Afghanistan. Etc
- Discuss the challenges such as
- The Chabahar port has received a waiver from the U.S. sanctions on Iran for the moment, but these concessions could be withdrawn any time, given the constant upheaval in the administration
- possibility of the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan, after the pullout from Syria, will add to security concerns for Afghanistan and impact on the Chabahar route as well etc
Conclusion – Give your view on the potential of Chabahar port for India and discuss the way forward.