- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi, dedicated the Bogibeel bridge in Assam, to the nation. Additionally, on the northern bank of the Brahmaputra, the Prime Minister also flagged passenger train passing through the bridge.
Significance of the Bridge:
- The bridge spanning the River Brahmaputra between Dibrugarh and Dhemaji districts of Assam is of immense economic and strategic significance.
- This bridge is a marvel of engineering and technology.
- This bridge reduces distances between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- This bridge would greatly enhance “ease of living” in the region.
- The bridge is 4.94 km long and is India’s longest railroad bridge.
Since Dibrugarh is an important centre of healthcare, education and commerce in the region, and the people living north of the Brahmaputra, can now access this city, more conveniently.
Construction of the Bogibeel Bridge was agreed by the government as part of a 1985 agreement to end years of deadly agitation by Assamese nationalist groups.
The Bogibeel project was a part of the 1985 Assam Accord and was sanctioned in 1997-98.
The Bogibeel Bridge, which will have a serviceable period of around 120 years, is India’s only fully welded bridge for which European welding standards were adhered to for the first time in the country.