Topic – Disaster and disaster management
6) Discuss the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP) of the government of India. (250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the NCRMP, its aims and objectives and the strategy enunciated by the project to achieve those aims.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Write a few introductory lines about the NCRMP. E.g The Government of India has initiated the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP) with a view to address cyclone risks in the country.The overall objective of the Project is to undertake suitable structural and non-structural measures to mitigate the effects of cyclones in the coastal states and UT’s of India.
Discuss about the NCRMP in further detail. E.g
- NDMA under the aegis of MHA implements the Project in coordination with participating State Governments and the NIDM.
- The Project has identified 13 cyclone prone States and Union Territories (UTs), with varying levels of vulnerability. These States/UT have further been classified into two categories,based on the frequency of occurrence of cyclone,size of population and the existing institutional mechanism for disaster management. These categories are:
- Category I: Higher vulnerability States i.e. Andhra Pradesh,Gujarat,Odisha,Tamil Nadu and West Bengal; Category II:Lower vulnerability States i.e. Maharashtra,Karnataka,Kerala,Goa,Pondicherry,Lakshadweep,Daman and Diu, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The strategies of the project include-
(i) improved early warning dissemination systems
(ii)enhanced capacity of local communities to respond to disasters
(iii)improved access to emergency shelter, evacuation, and protection against wind storms, flooding and storm surge in high areas
(iv)strengthening DRM capacity at central, state and local levels in order to enable mainstreaming of risk mitigation measures into the overall development agenda etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.