Topic – Disaster and disaster management
3) Discuss the Tsunami Risk Management Guidelines issued by National Disaster Management Authority.(250 words)
Why this question
The recent Tsunami disaster in Indonesia highlights the risk posed by natural disasters especially tsunamis, which are inherently unpredictive. In this context it is essential to study the guidelines given by NDMA for managing tsunami risk in the country.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the Tsunami Risk Management Guidelines issued by National Disaster Management Authority.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Mention that the 2004 tsunami prompted NDMA to formulate Tsunami Risk Management Guidelines to outline inter-agency roles and responsibilities, tsunami risk preparedness, mitigation and response.
Discuss in points the Tsunami Risk Management Guidelines issued by National Disaster Management Authority. E.g
- The Guidelines recommends practical and effective ways for awareness generation, capacity building, education, training and research & development for better tsunami risk management.
- The Guidelines explore options for effective dissemination of tsunami alert and warning messages generated by INCOIS to the concerned agencies and coastal vulnerable communities exposed to tsunamis in a coordinated manner.
- Structural Mitigation measures, as envisaged in the Guidelines, gives a brief guidance on design and construction of new structures as well as strategies for protecting lifeline and priority structures from Tsunamis along the seafront.
- The Guidelines urge BIS to roll out the pending construction standards entitled ‘Criteria for Tsunami-Resistant Design of Structures’.
- It further recommends a robust techno-legal regime through efficient land use practices, bioshields, shelter belt plantation and mangrove regeneration with community involvement etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.