Topic -Part of static series under the heading – “Environmental impact assessment”
2) Evaluate whether there is a need to set up a regulator for conducting environmental impact assessment?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first discuss the issues faced in EIA process which would necessitate the creation of a regulator. Thereafter, we need to highlight that other committees have also recommended creation of such a regulator , the role it would have and the likely impact of the actions of such a regulator.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that eia process suffers from several deficiencies which need to be taken care of.
- Explain the need for a regulator by pointing out towards the deficiencies in eia process.
- Highlight that parliamentary standing committee in December 2014 had recommended the government to set up National Environment Managament Authority (NEMA) at the central level and State Environment Management Authority (SEMA) at state level as full time processing, clearance and monitoring agencies.
- Discuss what the role of such a regulator would be – What is required is a regulator at the national level having its offices in all the states which can carry out an independent, objective and transparent appraisal and approval of projects for environmental clearances and which can also monitor the implementation of the conditions laid down in environmental clearances
- Discuss the impact that the regulator would have – bring objectivity in the entire process of EIA will oversee the process of accreditation of consultants, evaluate the reports and appraisal of the projects.
Conclusion – give your view on the need for a regulator and discuss way forward.