- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Heritage Park for Hindus, Buddhists in Elum Valley in Pak
What to study?
- For Prelims: About Elum Valley and its geographical location.
- For Mains: Significance and concerns over the proposed heritage park.
Context: The Khyber Pakthunkhwa province in Pakistan is planning to construct a heritage park in Elum Valley, which carries a historical significance to both the Hindus and the Buddhists, to promote religious tourism.
- Under the project, the Elum Valley would be made a safe abode for the followers of Hinduism and Buddhism and as well as for tourists visiting the heritage park.
- Under the project, fencing of the entire Elum Valley would be done and a separate track would be constructed in the heritage park.
Elum Valley and its significance:
- Elum Valley is located between the Swat and Buner districts in the province, Elum Valley has been a site of divinity and pilgrimage for both the Hindu and the Buddhist communities.
- According to Hindu belief, Lord Ram spent time meditating there during his 14 years of exile, while Buddhists believe it to be the site where a previous incarnation of Lord Buddha gave up his life.
Sources: the hindu.