Topic-Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
7) Discuss the ethical challenges faced by the healthcare sector in the present times, with special reference to India.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about all the ethical challenges faced by the healthcare sector in the present times. We have to discuss those challenges with a special emphasis on the conditions in India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the healthcare sector and its relationship with ethics. E.g The issue of ethics and economic efficiency in the provisioning and delivery of services becomes complex in the Indian context where health indicators are poor.
Discuss in points the ethical challenges faced by healthcare sector today. Bring out the emphasis on India wherever required. E.g
- Inequality in access to healthcare.
- Unequal distribution of healthcare facilities.
- Privatisation and corporatisation of healthcare.
- Overpricing of medical interventions and unnecessary prescription of drugs and procedures to inflate the costs, by private hospitals and doctors.
- Lack of quality healthcare professionals in rural and backward areas.
- Issue of granting and extending patents; evergreening of patents etc.
- Issues related to disclosure of information to the patient and the caretakers.
- Ethical issues like Euthanasia; abortion etc
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.