Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “Issues related to education”
4) Examine the challenges faced by higher education sector in India and discuss the impact of policy decisions taken to address these issues?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the challenges faced by the higher education sector in India and the steps taken to reform it. Next, we need to debate the impact of those steps and discuss what more needs to be done.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – You can begin by mentioning that Education is the foremost sector that shoulders the
biggest responsibility of shaping the future of nation. India, though renowned since ancient time for higher educational institutions like Nalanda, is presently facing multiple challenges in education.
- Discuss the challenges
- Presently, education standards of higher education, research and innovative skills for novel ideas are not on par with international community in most of the universities of India.
- There is an increasing gap between education and employability. Many of industrial persons complained about the quality of students coming from colleges. Mostly, students are lacking in job skills.
- As per recent studies, around 50% of faculty are working in colleges based on contract. In long term,teaching with contract faculty has serious implications on quality and research.
- Many of private colleges started to receive funds from UGC and fee refunds from state governments. Specifically, in south India every year, there were many seats vacant in engineering. Permissions for new colleges and existing colleges require more scrutiny then present.
- Discuss some of the recent steps such as formation of HECI, granting autonomy to higher education institutions such as IIMs etc. Debate the impact of such steps
- Discuss what more needs to be done such as create enabling environment for research, integrated higher education master plan to provide an excellent education for all its residents etc
Conclusion – Emphasize on the importance of higher education for India and discuss way forward.