Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
1) Discuss the development impacts of migration and urbanization?(250 words)
Why this question
The issues of migration and urbanisation are much debated in development literature, but often their negative consequences compared to positive impacts are highlighted. The conceptual and theoretical dimensions of the relationship between migration, urbanisation and development are important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the negative and the positive impact of migration and urbanization on development. Thereafter, we need to provide a fair and balanced opinion on the impact of migration.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that urbanization as a result of migration is a major factor in today’s society. Give example of some data to prove your point.
- Discuss some of the reason why migration happens. This section should be brief.
- Discuss the positive impact of migration on development – remittances help in development of rural areas, infrastructure development etc
- Discuss the negative impact of migration on development – pressure on employment creation, poor living standards etc
- Discuss what must be done to improve migration related policies so that its impact on development is more channelized.
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced view on the impact and discuss way forward.