Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
6) Discuss the key features of agricultural export policy 2018 and it’s likely impact?(250 words)
Why this question
The Union cabinet Thursday approved an export policy for agriculture, lifting all restrictions on organic and processed food, to help the government’s efforts to double farmers’ income by 2022. Hence we need to know about the details of the policy and it’s likely impact.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the objective and the design of the policy. Thereafter, we need to discuss the impact that the policy is likely to have. In case we feel there are certain areas where the policy could have been slightly different needs to be brought out. Finally, we need to provide a conclusion where we give our view on the policy and discuss way forward.
Discuss – Here in your discussion you need to bring out the details of the policy and debate the impact of it.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that The Union cabinet Thursday approved an export policy for agriculture, lifting all restrictions on organic and processed food, to help the government’s efforts to double farmers’ income by 2022.
- Discuss the objectives of the policy
- To double agricultural exports from present US$ 30+ Billion to US$ 60+ Billion by 2022 and reach US$ 100 Billion in the next few years thereafter, with a stable trade policy regime.
- To diversify our export basket, destinations and boost high value and value added agricultural exports including focus on perishables.
- To promote novel, indigenous, organic, ethnic, traditional and non-traditional Agri products exports.
- To provide an institutional mechanism for pursing market access, tackling barriers and deal with sanitary and phyto-sanitary issues.
- To strive to double India’s share in world agri exports by integrating with global value chain at the earliest.
Enable farmers to get benefit of export opportunities in overseas market.
- Analyze how the policy plans to achieve these objectives
- Dedicated clusters could be set up for mangoes, pomegranate, bananas, grapes, tea, coffee, turmeric, and marine products
- set up ‘Brand India’ to promote exports and establish as strong quality regime for exports, and states will be extensively involved.
- attract private investment into production and processing. Etc
- Discuss the issues facing agricultural exports etc and examine how the policy will help in addressing those issues.
Conclusion – Give your view on the policy and discuss the way forward.