Topic – Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints;
6) Discuss the measures that can help address the agrarian distress in the country. (250 words)
Why this question
Farmers suicides and increasing frequency of protests aptly highlights the situation of agriculture in India. There is a dire need to ameliorate the economic conditions of nearly 50% of the Indian workforce. In this context it is important to discuss the ways to ameliorate the agricultural distress in India.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the measures that need to be taken in order to help address the farming distress in the country.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the agriculture’s contribution to GDP and the workforce employed by it.
Discuss in points the steps that need to be taken to address the farming distress in the country. E.g
- Improvement in agricultural extension.
- Trade bans on agricultural exports must be removed and interstate trade simplified
- Popularisation of KCC
- Faster implementation of PMKSY
- Income and farm diversification through livestock and animal husbandry etc
- Basic Minimum Income
- Improved agricultural credit facilities etc
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.