Topic -Part of static series under the heading – “ The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country”
1) Several women leaders contributed immensely in shaping the constitution of India by participating in the debates of the Constituent Assembly of India. Discuss prominent contribution by women leaders in making constitution of India.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the contribution made by women members of constituent assembly and how it made the constitution more representative.
Discuss – Your discussion should bring out the key demand of the question.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that Among the 299 members of the assembly, 15 were women who had either been voted or chosen to represent their provinces, who left their mark on the making of the republic. The assembly was a platform from which they could assert their equality and craft a politically balanced republic.
Body – discuss their contributions.
- Annie Mascarene emphasised that centralisation was important, but should be introduced at later stages of democracy and not the initial stages, where it would seem like autocracy.
- supported India’s membership to the Commonwealth, which many members were opposed to.
- Enriched the debates related to reservation and separate electorates
- gave voice to need for humane treatement of those detained or arrested etc
Conclusion – Highlight the overall sense of the contribution that women members made in drafting the constitution.