Topic – Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
5) Discuss the key features of and Significance of Allied and Healthcare Professionals (A&HPs) Bill and the challenges faced by Allied and Healthcare Professionals?(250 words)
Why this question
The Union Cabinet has approved the Allied and Healthcare Professions Bill, 2018 for regulation and standardisation of education and services by allied and healthcare professionals. Hence knowing it’s details is important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question is quite straightforward in its demand. It expects us to bring out the key features of the bill, discuss why it has been brought and the challenge faced by allied and healthcare professionals. We have to draw a linkage between the challenges faced and how the bill proposes to alleviate those challenges.
Discuss – Here your discussion should be centred around the key demand of the question.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight why this question is in news.
Body – Discuss the key features of the bill. Thereafter, discuss the impact that the bill is likely to have.
- Bring all existing allied and healthcare professionals on board during the first few of years from the date of establishment of the Council.
- Opportunity to create qualified, highly skilled and competent jobs in healthcare by enabling professionalism of the allied and healthcare workforce.
- High quality, multidisciplinary care in line with the vision of AyushmanBharat, moving away from a ‘doctor led’ model to a ‘care accessible and team based’ model.
- Opportunity to cater to the global demand (shortage) of healthcare workforce which is projected to be about 15 million by the year 2030, asper the WHO Global Workforce, 2030 report.
Thereafter, highlight the challenges faced by such professionals which would explain the need for the bill.
Conclusion – Highlight that though such professionals have existed for long, considerable gap in the allied and healthcare space is because of a lack of a comprehensive regulatory framework and absence of standards for education and training of A&HPs, which the bill will take care of.