Topic – Indian polity : Issues
5) The controversy with respect to demand for reservation by communities such as Marathas, Jats etc highlight that there is a need to reexamine the reservation policy. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question
Maharashtra government has cleared reservation for the Maratha community in education and government jobs. This constant tussle between the judiciary and executive regarding reservation policy, and the demand for reservation by several groups has raised the need for understanding issues with the reservation policy.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first explain the context of Maratha reservation issue. Thereafter, we need to discuss the reasons why reservation policy might need a rethink and suggest some ways. Finally we need to comment on the need for reform in reservation policy and discuss way forward.
Comment – When you are asked to comment, you have to pick main points and give your ‘opinion’ on them based on evidences or arguments stemming from your wide reading. Your opinion may be for or against, but you must back your argument with evidences.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight the decision of Maharashtra government to grant 18% reservation to Marathas.
- Highlight that the issue has been discussed ad infinitum in the past few years with demands for reservation rising from communities such as Jats, Marathas etc. Highlight the verdict of the court in this regard.
- Discuss why there might be need for re-evaluation of reservation policy
- Changed conditions since independence with greater economic growth
- Lucrative government salary post salary revision by pay commission
- Issues in agriculture sector etc
- Discuss how the normative idea or reservation has changed
- Give some suggestions as to what needs to be done such as data surveys, re-evaluation of reservation policy eyc
Conclusion – Give your view on the statement in the question and discuss way forward.