Topic – Internal security.
5) With the Arihant’s nuclear deterrence patrol, India has added immeasurably to the credibility of its nuclear deterrence. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
India’s first indigenously designed and built nuclear-powered submarine, the INS Arihant, which is equipped with nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles had just completed a nearly month-long nuclear deterrence patrol. This is a landmark development on many counts, and through this question we attempt to understand why.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain how developing INS Arihant indigenously as well as INS Arihant per se has helped us strengthen our nuclear deterrence and the impact that it will have.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the fact that India’s first indigenously designed and built nuclear-powered submarine, the INS Arihant, which is equipped with nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles had just completed a nearly month-long nuclear deterrence patrol.
- Discuss the advantages that it has for India
- India, apart from its capability to deliver nuclear weapons both from land and from air, can now also do so from under water. It provides the ultimate credibility to nuclear deterrence as both land and air-launched nuclear weapons are much more susceptible to destruction than those launched from undersea platforms
- sends out an unambiguous message that efforts at nuclear blackmail will not work
- signifies India’s attainment of complete mastery over all the highly complex systems and procedures entailed in operating the sea leg of the triad etc
- Discuss the impact that it will have on India’s nuclear doctrine, its role as a net security provider in Indian Ocean, and its ambitions in Asia Pacific.
Conclusion – Discuss the significance of indigenously developing arihant’s nuclear deterrence.